The beauty industry produces over 120 billion units of packaging globally each year. But sometimes we want to treat ourselves to a beauty routine. There's nothing like the fresh feeling of your skin after a face mask. So how can we make ourselves feel good while doing good for the planet we live on? When those spa days come around, we want to be well-versed on how to ethically decide what to use with both our environment and bodies in mind.
1. You can first start by going makeup-free for one week each month. You're beautiful with and without makeup, so save up on makeup and go au-natural.
2. Sharing is caring! Share products like toothpaste, shampoo, and conditioner with your family or housemates.
3. Consider using shampoo, conditioner, and soap bars to reduce packaging. Click to shop our collection.
4. Buying in bulk saves you money on shipping costs and reduces your carbon footprint. Buy bigger bottles less often, as opposed to smaller bottles more often. It works out to be cheaper. Check out some options on our shop page.
6. Create your own lotions, perfumes, body scrubs. Store in an upcycled jar
7. Air dry your hair. Skip out on the blow drying
8. Limit the amount of water you use to brush your teeth, shaving, washing your hands and washing your face.
9. Ditch the single use makeup removing wipes and disposable cotton rounds. Use a reusable/washable washcloth for this. Pair with coconut oil or an eco-friendly and cruelty-free face wash. Our collection
10. Reuse towels. After showering, hang dry your towel and wash it once a week
11. Use body scourers exfoliators made from natural materials over plastic ones. Our collection
12. Donate used and unwanted beauty products to places like Project Beauty Share which provides personal hygiene and beauty products to women overcoming abuse, addiction, homelessness, and poverty
13. Finally, look at the labels. Avoid harsh chemical ingredients. You can learn more at Environmental Working Group